Joy Is

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Joy is found in the small things of life.

Ironic isn't it, since we spend so much of our days in vain pursuit of things that won't really matter in the end.

My people and I-we spent last week unplugged and away from the busyness of every day. It was joyful indeed.

The laughter in those little voices, the sunshine on their faces and the ice cream dripping from their chins, well it all did my mama soul some good.


While I love the memories that are made and the fun that is had by all-one of my favorite things about a week away is perspective.

Because somewhere in the middle of the piles of laundry and the dishes and  the how am I going to concoct some sort of chicken and call it dinner tonight there is a mundane dance that is too easy to acquire.

Sometimes that makes the little things like the way the light shines in your kindergartner's eyes seem too dull.

Or the way the freckles spot the nose of your pre-schooler seem like beauty that will always be there, so why stop and marvel at it today?

Sometimes? Well sometimes we just need a good reminder to slow down and enjoy what is being lived today. Because we aren't promised tomorrow.

Tomorrow it will not matter that we worked overtime today. Or missed a soccer game last Saturday. Or spent endless hours scrolling through social media. Or talking too much on the phone. Or whatever it is that we do-that doesn't really matter.

It is so easy for me to get caught up in doing what it is that I do-instead of being who I am called to be.

And who is that exactly?

Well, I'd say it's a lot of things but mostly at this point in my life-it's mama.

Going in slo-mo is crucial for me every now and then-because finding time to appreciate the small joys of motherhood is the good stuff that my life is really made up of.

And for me it's hard to remember that when I'm too busy.


Of course you won't find that information anywhere in the latest best selling self help book. It is not a number in the the course of "ten keys to success" or "twenty ways to make your life matter." 

We live in a world that thrives on busyness and I too am guilty of having a calendar with not enough white space.

But when I slow myself long enough to hear the giggles as we bike ride through a quaint little town, and when I look at life through the eyes of a five and six year old while building sand castles....perspective.

And with that perspective my heart is so content. So full of joy.




I don't need help juggling-I need help slowing down. Because just like tiny grains of sand passing through those little fingers....

so goes the moments of our lives. 

(No that was not a promo for Days of our Lives.) 

It just sort of sounded that way.

Joy to me is motherhood. And the million little things that go along with that role. 





Post a Comment