Little Matters Most

Friday, January 16, 2015

Every January I get antsy.

That beautiful stretch of white sand beach from Destin down to Panama City starts calling my name and mama starts makin' some plans. There's something about the feel of the frigid cold that makes my heart long for the sound of a seagull.

There are memories to be made, I reason in my mind. Life's too short. Book the room, go on the trip, make said memories.

This weekend is a three day holiday weekend for my kiddos and I'm doing the same thing. Searching fervently online for a plethora of activities to keep us busy having fun.

Because in my mind, it's not so much being as it is doing that matters...and I circle back around again to a discipline that I have to realize for myself time and again.

It's the reverse of that being and doing thing. And somehow, right now I've got it twisted. You'd think I would get it right after so many tries. But no, we're all human and we'll all be working toward the goal until the end of time or the end of our time, whichever comes first.

And so this morning as I was writing down a few of my grateful moments from yesterday-it hit me like a ton of bricks as I read my own words spilled out onto the page.

"I praise you for a fun evening in yesterday, playing UNO around the table. Eating breakfast for dinner. It's what's little that matters most."

And there in my very own fine precious prayer journal I find myself pulled back to the center by the hope that is the anchor for my soul. (Hebrews 6:19)

It's the little things...the little things that are usually simple are what makes this life great.

Time spent playing a card game, sharing a meal, belly laughs as we have a tickle fest before bedtime. 

That's the good stuff that life is made up of. BEING in the moment, soaking it in and living it out. Day in and day out, nothing fancy, just being.

We will go on trips and see faraway places every once in a while, I'm sure. We will document it in photos and marvel at the good time we had for years to come.

I think perhaps though, that when my children are grown what I will look back on and smile most at is the way that Quinley instantly falls asleep when I snuggle close.

The way that Tanner is so proud that he can read Kindergarten Book 3.

The way that they feel, their tiny little feet nestled around mine as we read books snuggled under a blanket on the couch.

At the end of the day, you really don't have to be busy DOING much at all...BEING present in the little moments is what matters most.

Post a Comment